El Caleta in English

This is the weblog of the English Department of I.E.S. La Caleta (La Caleta Secondary School) in Cádiz, Spain. Here you can read and discuss comments, essays, letters, etc. written by our students. We hope you enjoy it!

Saturday, May 13, 2006

OUR FORUMS (1): WHAT DO YOU NEED ENGLISH FOR?

Sometimes we don't quite know what we are learning English for. Just to keep teachers occupied! But ours is a world in which anybody (I mean it: anybody) may have the occasion or the need to use English with someone. Here are some testimonies.

- Some time ago, a taxi driver who was interviewed in Diario de Cádiz said that he used "the English he had learnt at I.E.S. La Caleta" to communicate with his foreign clients.

- Last year, a student of I.E.S. La Caleta told me he had met a beautiful Italian girl who didn't speak any Spanish. He tried to communicate with her in English, successfully! Two or three days later, he asked the help of a teacher to translate a love poem he had written for her. It said (more or less): Adam died because he ate the apple, and I die because I am in love with you. English the language of love? Yes.

TELL US YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE. HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO USE ENGLISH OUT OF SCHOOL? CAN YOU IMAGINE ANY OTHER SITUATIONS IN WHICH YOU COULD USE IT? Use the "Comments" section to let us know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

English is very important because you can speak with the people in the world.

In my opinion english is very hard, but you have to speak it.

That's why we have to study it at school.

Monday, 15 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite film is TITANIC.
I like this film because is very interesting and romantic.The protagonist is Leonardo Dicaprio with Kate Winslet. He protagonist is very good-looking.The film won an oscar in 1997.I saw it with my friends at the cinema.

Monday, 22 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home